Sunday, March 24, 2013

110 blocks done, and only a few to go

What do 110 blocks look like?  Let's use a cat for scale. 

Mine.
I'm not doing all 111 blocks of the Farmer's Wife quilt because the layout I'm choosing to use won't be able to handle one more.  So, I'm doing 110 blocks and being very happy with them.

This is her throwing shade look.  I just suggested that perhaps she remove herself from the box.  Not a good idea. 

She looks happier, because I gave up and let her stay. 
 But enough of the cute cat pictures, let's get on to final round.
W.C.T.U.
Another temperance movement-related block.  Let me tell you, spinsters have no need for the temperance movement.  If they are like me, they like gin and tonics too much to give them up for the betterment of society.  Speaking of the temperance movement, I made a horrible discovery this weekend. I am out of gin.  Rising to the challenge, I made myself a vodka tonic instead which was rather tasty.  I added a slice and a squeeze of meyer lemon instead of lime because when I went to the local grocery story at lunch on Friday to make a yummy salad from their salad bar and to stock up on fruit for the next couple days, I discovered they carried meyer lemons.  I don't know anything about meyer lemons except they look like lemons and are a lovely shade of orange.  A beautiful shade of orange which adds a touch of class to my vodka tonic.  And, probably annoys the W.C.T.U.  Good for me.

Wild Rose and Square
Of course, the wild roses around here are pink. They aren't blooming yet, but they will eventually.  I've got one wild rose bush in my backyard which I have not destroyed yet.  Give me time.

Windows
 You know, I just really wanted to add more red to my quilt.

Wedding Ring
 I've already mentioned that I have my grandmother's engagement ring which was given to her in the 1930s (I think) and which was given to her by a man who did not become her husband.  I love that story.  I love how it shows that our families have their own histories and their own lives before we designate them into the role of grandmother, mother, father, etc.  The ring itself is a beautiful purple and I get complements on it frequently.  I also enjoy telling people that it was my grandmother's engagement ring to have them ooh and ah about it, then I tell them, "Oh, she didn't marry the guy" and watch the reaction.  It's lots of fun.  Grandmother would approve.

Windmill
Last but not least, the windmill block.  This has to be orange for the Netherlands, land of windmills.  Of course when I went there a few years ago, the traditional windmills had basically all been replaced with modern industrial blades but this looks a little modern too so it all comes together.

And, that's it.  Thanks for tagging along on this little journey.  I'll have more posts as I put this together and I have some rather complicated ideas for the backing so this won't be done anytime soon.  Still, I'm rather excited to have everything completed.  Well, that's not true. I'm remaking 11 of these guys.  Some because I didn't like how they turned out, some because I think they don't look good with the others, some to balance out colors, and some because I want to work other fabric into the mix.  I'll post when they are completed and start day dreaming about layouts.  Crazy, right?

2 comments:

  1. Your blocks are fantastic - I look forward to seeing them all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great.
    Love the pics of how well they double as cat bedding :)
    Looking forward to seeing your layout

    ReplyDelete