Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dungeness Spit




I know I've already hiked Dungeness Spit this year, but I'm a sucker for a good beach hike.  The thing about the Spit is that it always seems to be smooth as glass water with no wind on the way to the lighthouse and then whitecaps and high winds on the way back - all 5.5 miles of the way back. This time, I also had the added benefit of the tide being in and having to walk on the very sandy beach.  Still, I saw lots of seals and shorebirds and missed seeing the whale that everyone near the trail head was pointing to. (The woman in the first picture was this week's lighthouse keeper and was trying desperately to walk out of my picture - the sands would not cooperate.  Volunteers sign up for week-long shifts to take care of the lighthouse and its grounds.  I imagine after all the hikers leave for the day it is pretty heavenly out there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment